Monday, April 23, 2012

Tangible Tidbits 2012 #16: This Is It...Or Is It?

Hey, everyone! :) It's been busy around here for the past couple of weeks, so I basically hibernated all day yesterday. :o My cousin lent me her "This Is It" DVD, so Mom and I watched it. We both enjoyed it a lot, even though neither of us ever had any interest in seeing Michael Jackson in concert. I really wish he'd had the chance to open the show in London. Everyone worked so hard on the costumes, dancing, special effects, etc...it's a shame the full experience will never be realized. :( I also thought about the dancers...
these poor people thought they were about to get their big break, only to have it evaporate instantly. I'm sure they are all grateful to have worked with him at all, but it must've been an enormous let-down not to be able to tour with him. :\

One day last week, I started an application for the MJSA Education Foundation Jewelry Scholarship. I have until June 15 to pull everything together, but it won't be easy. The requirements include a Financial Information Worksheet I have to fill out, a Student Aid Report (SAR) -- I have no idea what that is, but I presume it comes from the school's Financial Aid office; a Transcript (it can be unofficial, so I got that off the internet already); an Essay (I can probably wing this LOL); three to five Work Samples and a Work Sample List -- I have plenty of pictures of my pieces, but they want photos of them being worn. I have very few of those, so I will have to take them; and a Letter of Recommendation...
this one could be tough! I know which MSU professor I would like to write it for me, but he's not on campus this semester and I don't think he's accessing his school email. I've reached out to a friend at the Metalsmith Guild to see if she can locate a contact email address for me. Fingers crossed!

My friend Meg Fillmore of Bead My Love and her mother Moggie Moyer were the guest speakers at the April BSNJ meeting this past Thursday. It was fun, as I haven't seen Meg in more than a year. They did a hands-on bead embroidery demonstration, and I started a piece that I have yet to finish. I may work on it later while catching up with last week's General Hospital episodes on YouTube. ;) Meg is teaching a workshop in June for our group, so I will get to see her again before long. :) That reminds me...I have to find the check I wrote and mail it! :o

I recently went through some estate jewelry I have here to disassemble for parts to be used in new pieces, as one of my coworkers was looking for something "vintage" to replace a pair of earrings she liked. I went through the entire collection and cleaned up all of the clip/screw back earrings and offered her whatever she wanted for $5/pair. I made the same offer to another coworker for any pierced earrings I found. Neither of them liked any of the earrings...but a third person liked some, bought one pair, and asked me to set aside two more! A nice way to make a few extra bucks with minimal effort. ;) I have to look through the necklaces and see if any are viable. One of the first two ladies may like them, as she wears longer necklaces of strung beads. :)

One of my female coworkers asked me last week out of the blue if I was "going with" anyone. She said she just wondered because I'm "so nice." LOL I've known her for five years, and this is the first time it came up! She suggested Internet dating, as she knows someone who met his girlfriend that way...I can't remember if it was her son or a nephew, but I'm pretty sure it was one or the other. Anyway, I tried that more than once and it didn't work for me. I guess I'm old-fashioned. That, and I really don't trust people to be honest in their profiles. Sad, but true. :\

Well, that's all I can remember for now. :o Have a great week! ;)


Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

0 comments:

Post a Comment