Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tangible Tidbits 2012 #17: From Scholarships to Softball

Hi, everyone! Can you believe April has come and gone already? Where does the time go? :O

Thanks to one of our readers who previously worked in a university financial aid office, I now know what a Student Aid Report (SAR) is and where to get it! :) Luckily, I'd already started the application for it through the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) website, but I was stalled because it required my 2011 income tax figures and I hadn't done my taxes yet. I completed the application this week, and have received and uploaded my SAR to my MJSA Education Foundation Jewelry Scholarship application. Two items down! ;) Now, I have to concentrate on getting photos taken of someone wearing my metalwork pieces for the 3-5 Work Samples, and the Letter of Recommendation. I will worry about the Work Sample List (obviously, it depends on the pictures I can get), Essay and filling in the Financial Information Worksheet later...hopefully the worksheet won't be too difficult.

Earlier this week, I was inspired to start my BSNJ Bead Challenge project, which will be due at the June meeting. I was taking a late afternoon nap one day -- I do that a lot because it gives me the energy to work later at night -- and an idea popped into my head. I'd had a different idea in mind, but this new idea is much more creative...and, hopefully, unique! :D Although I've started working on the focal piece, I haven't decided yet how to present it. Maybe that will come to me in another dream? LOL

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I've signed up to be a vendor at a Network Charity Brunch Image Forum on Sunday, May 20 in Denville, NJ. I received a call today asking how many people I was planning to bring, as it "is expected" that vendors will bring people for the networking aspect. Considering the host is a plastic surgeon and the presentations include permanent make-up and Botox, I don't see too many people I know being interested. If she is more concerned with networking with my friends than offering shopping opportunities for attendees, this may be a one-time gig for me. These events are held two to three times a year, but I would only participate again if it is in my own best interest. Considering I am one of the LEAST likely people you will ever see getting cosmetic work done, I have a feeling these people may not be my cuppa tea. :|

For the third consecutive year, the Rumson Oceanic Library in Rumson, NJ will be featuring BSNJ members' work in their display case throughout May. I have to pull together a collection of items I think their patrons may like by Tuesday. As it's a fundraiser for the Library, the items are for sale and 20 percent of the sales go to the Library. I didn't sell anything last year, but I think I sold two or three items the year before. Now that I've had some experience, I am better equipped to select items that are more in their price range. Most of the items I choose to display are beaded, naturally, as that is the main focus of the Society. ;)

I spent the afternoon with my older niece today for her birthday outing. We went to Earth, Paint and Fire as I did with her sister in January. Of course, this activity was preceded by bagels for lunch and frozen yogurt afterward. Let me tell you, these girls are NOT cheap dates! LOL

Sadly, my younger niece is sporting (no pun intended) a black eye since Friday evening. A softball tipped off her glove and right into her face while playing catch at practice. Her eye is kind of purple now, but it seems to be much better than it was. She's taking pictures daily to keep us updated. ;)

Mom and I went to one of their softball games on Thursday evening (before the black eye incident) and saw them each pitch an inning. It was not exactly drizzling...more like misting...but everything was still wet. Luckily for the spectators, the game was called after three innings -- they usually play six -- because the game started late due to the umpire's late arrival. As there is another league that plays on the same fields at 8:00 p.m., they are not allowed to start a new inning after 7:45 p.m. We'll try to see another game in May, hopefully in more cooperative weather. :)

Well, it's almost time for Once Upon a Time, so I will sign off now. Take care and have a great week! :)


Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

0 comments:

Post a Comment