Monday, January 30, 2012

Tangible Tidbits 2012 #4: Beaders and Birthstones...

Hello, readers! Well, I've had two interviews for the IT position since I last posted. The first one was with HR last week, which was pretty informational and only lasted about 20 minutes. The second one was this morning with the Manager to whom I would report if I took the position. She and I had never really crossed paths before, so I was curious to see whether or not we would be able to work together. I've had difficult bosses in the past, but I really don't think I have the emotional and/or physical energy to go down that road right now unless it's absolutely necessary. At this time, it isn't. ;) She's very nice, and seemed genuinely interested in my jewelry-making...she even asked me for a brochure! LOL I'm glad I don't have to keep that part of my life "quiet" anymore. For a long time, I didn't talk much about it at the office because I didn't want The Powers That Be to think I wasn't focusing on my job. That hasn't been a problem since I got back, and I'm glad it doesn't seem like it will be one if I make the transition. :) In any case, I hear there's one other person applying for the job, although I have no idea who it is or how we compare. I'm not really worried about it...if I don't get offered the position, I know my current superiors will be relieved! :)

Do you believe it's already February?! :o I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but it's pretty mild here for this time of year. I can't complain, although I think it's supposed to dip over the next few days and we might even see some flurries. As long as they don't stick to the ground, I'm okay with that! LOL

At the upcoming Bead Society of NJ (BSNJ) meeting, members will have the opportunity to bring in items to sell to other members...not a lot, just what will fit on the table in front of each person. Since the membership consists largely of beaders, I was thinking of bringing some wire-wrapped pendants, handcrafted link and wire knit chains, and handmade wire beads and coils. There are a few people who work with wire in the group, but the majority of them are into working with seed beads. They probably don't want to buy pieces made by other people that they can make themselves (I know I don't!), so I want to offer items that are more likely to be of interest to them. Jewelry-makers are always looking for different and interesting items like beads, chains, and pendants, so I think I can probably stand out in that area. I'll let you know how I make out after February 16. Wish me luck!

I'm still working hard to get my unfinished projects cleaned up. The February BSNJ meeting is also a UFO (unfinished object) night, so people can work on unfinished projects at the meeting. February can be difficult because potential snowstorms could interfere with a lecture, so we opted to have a "low key" meeting instead. Ideally, I'll find something that I can transport easily, and hopefully I can finish it in the one night! ;)

The new Focal Piece of the Month should be going up this week. For the February birthstone, I created an Amethyst pendant on purple silk. I happened to find a sale on selected birthstones at Beaded Impressions last week, so I stocked up the rest of the year's stones that I could find. I may still be missing one or two, but I'm pretty sure I have the ones I need for the next few months, at least. :)

As always, thanks for reading and have a great week! :D

Click here to Tweet this message to your Twitter Followers!
Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

0 comments:

Post a Comment